Monday, January 24, 2011

And Yet Another Potentially Missed Buddha: Michael Talbot . . . the Bridge

Apparently, Michael Talbot, author of The Holographic Universe, died in 1991 just after completing his book.

I read his book when I had 2 or 3 years of Tibetan Buddhism under my belt . . . c. 2003. It seemed to me, astoundingly, at the time, how fluid and parallel were the two descriptions of aspects of the Truths of the Universe. The book, to me, is a bridge between science and Buddhism, yet true consideration of those parallel contents were never explored within scientific forums[i?] . . . I suppose because of Michael Talbot's passing so long ago. The book is a mind-blowing connection, especially if you have some knowledge of both hard science and Tibetan Buddhism.

As long as I'm on a book review thing . . .  the next MUST for any sane person, especially Western Health Professionals and their Consumers—H. H. the Dalai Lama's The Universe in a Single Atom. Western health pros will, I swear, be astonished . . . or I'll pay for your book! Having read it, and having been on the "consumer" end of Western health care since 1993, I have a credible experience to bring to bear on the claims made in His Holiness's book.

We're just not getting it here: that Tibetan Buddhist Psychology has been evolving for more than 2500 years. How do you think Tibetan doctors view the mental health system here?
They are astonished at all the pills.
They are astonished that the whole person's life is not treated by one doctor (as in their tradition).
Their psychology has enabled all Tibetans to endure incredible pain as ordinary, and go about the day as usual.
At least read the first chapter in the bookstore.

Alright, this is the last. You don't deserve to be deluged, and I certainly don't want to dilute the importance of the 2 above texts . . . but time is short. Read In Search of Medicine Buddha (whose author I've shamefully forgotten, though whose writing became for me a revelation). A male Ayurvedic practitioner from California takes a journey to the Himalayas, Nepal, Bhutan . . . I could be wrong . . . seeking out doctors everywhere and learning some of their practices. The hidden cures of each of these healing practices is generally unknown to the rest of the world . . . we're talkin' about cures for AIDS . . . and true alchemy. The author, David [something] came back to California, and I think now has a huge Ayurvedic business . . . I haven't checked lately.

I read the book years ago. In Search of Medicine Buddha embraces the whole realm of working with the sacredness of the earth; ecology; botany, etc., because all Tibetan medicines are from the earth. The author is currently planting forests in these areas.

Yet the same dismissal of the issue on a national/international scale. Duh, don't I know better than this? I've shut my mouth for so long. Just like trillions before me, around me and after me.

We're too cozy in this country.



But . . . "I don't no to much"

Ok, you're off the book-hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment